Most things in Spelunky are randomly generated and unpredictable. However, there are a few rare cases where you are guaranteed the chance to acquire one or more of a specific item.
- A Key and Big Chest await somewhere on levels 2, 3, or 4, with the Udjat Eye inside. Both items always spawn on the same level.
- The entrance to the Black Market is somewhere in the Jungle.
- The Black Market always contains a stall selling the Ankh.
- The Moai always generates somewhere in the Ice Caves, with the Hedjet inside.
- There is always a Golden Door somewhere in the Temple, although it may be hard to find as it can generate submerged in lava.
- There is always a Golden Statue in the the City of Gold, which contains a diamond.
- A stunned Shopkeeper will drop his Shotgun.
- If you kill a Giant Spider, Bomb Paste is dropped.
- If you kill a Vampire, he drops a Cape.
- If you kill Old Bitey, he drops 4 Crates.
- If you kill the Yeti King, he may drop either Rope or Spike Shoes.
- If you kill the Mummy on Level 13, The Scepter is dropped.
- A Giant Idol lies after the final chamber, guarded by Olmec.
- Several enemies drop Treasure when killed.
Although Level Feelings are not guaranteed, some contain guaranteed items within them.
- You will always find a Mattock buried at the bottom of a Snake Pit in the Mines.
- If an 'Ash' Grave appears on a Restless Dead level of the Jungle, Ash's 'boomstick' will be found inside.
- A Jetpack will be found buried behind the Alien Lord in a UFO Crash Site level.
- If you hear Prayers to Kali, a Golden Idol and a Damsel will be found above a deadly pit of lava.
- The Tutorial cave is always the same, and contains two bombs, several gems and piles of gold, one Snake, and one Bat are found in the tutorial cave.
However, any items you collect or use don't carry over after completing it.
- While the items found in crates is random, custom levels will contain any item that is specifically put in them.
- Skeletons, Vampires, and Jiang Shi all drop a Skull when defeated.
- When their pool is drained, Piranhas leave skeletons.
- When you reach 16 favor with Kali, a Kapala is guaranteed to appear on the altar.