Money is the primary focus of Spelunky. It functions as the main scoring system, and can be obtained in various ways:
- Collecting treasure scattered around the levels
- Bringing an Idol from an Altar to the level exit, or selling it to a Shopkeeper
- Rolling 8 or above in a Dice House
The main purpose of money is to boost your score. When you die or clear the game, the current amount of money you're carrying will be recorded as your final score. But there are a few other uses for money:
- Buying items from the shops hidden around the levels
- Paying the Tunnel Man in the end of part 4 in each area before you enter the next
If you use your money on something though, your final score will be degraded by the amount of money you have spend throughout the game.