Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Spelunky is not a 'pure' roguelike. It is a cross-genre game (also known as a 'Rogue-lite' or 'Roguelike-like') that is partly defined by roguelike elements, but differs from the genre in certain aspects.
Spelunky's roguelike elements include:
- Permanent death — games can't be saved/loaded, and death means you must start from the beginning of the game.
- Procedurally generated levels that are wholly unpredictable.
- Relatively high difficulty, with frequent deaths and short runs.
- It's a dungeon crawl, which takes place by progressing along rigidly defined 'levels' of the cave.
Ways in which Spelunky differs from traditional roguelikes include:
- It's a side-scrolling platformer, rather than a top-down Dungeon Crawl.
- Events are displayed graphically, rather than described by text.
- Gameplay takes place in real time, rather than being turn-based.
- Few RPG elements, limited to hit points and a rudimentary inventory.
The original game Rogue, free to play in-browser.